Skip to main content

My Trip To The Hospital

Seems like I've been apologizing a lot for not keeping this blog up to date, but a lot has been going on.  Last Friday night, Calvin rushed me to the emergency room with an anaphylactic reaction to an antibiotic I was taking for my sinus infection.  My entire body swole up and broke out in hives while my eyes, nose, ears and lips grew several sizes larger as well.  My throat closed and caused a dramatic entry to the E.R. with me collapsing on the floor.

I was rushed to a bed where they gave me a shot of epinephrin and a breathing treatment which brought the swelling down enough in my throat to breath effectively.  My body though, remained swollen and reacting more severely than what was normal.  I was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit for the night and into the next day.  I was later told how I narrowly avoided a tracheotomy and should be thankful for my life.  Over the course of the weekend, I experienced several strange reactions to other medications that they had me on, such as Benedril (to help with the swelling).  When they gave me an IV dose, my blood pressure dropped, heart-rate shot up and my chest tightened.  It brought in the nurses and respiratory therapist to administer another breathing treatment and help get my body settled back down. 

During my time at the hospital, two EKGs were performed, they drew blood out of the same crook in my arm SIX times, I received two shots in my stomach of blood thinners (because of the risk with lots of swelling), an IV which emptied two huge bags full of IV fluids into my arm in just the first hour I was in the E.R. (not to mention what they put on the pump later), my shot of epinephrin, multiple breathing treatments, a 24 hour urine study, and an all-night heart monitor...and after all of that, we still don't know for sure what happened.  The doctor suspects that it was a reaction to my antibiotic, but is not for certain.

I am now back home with my family, who I missed terribly!  Some lingering symptoms have warranted another trip in to see my primary physician in the morning, such as: chest tightening, tingling and swollen fingers,  aching ankles and knees and all of the original symptoms from my sinus infection that is being untreated because I had to discontinue the antibiotic that caused the reaction.  So, I am hoping for some answers tomorrow.

It is always amazing to me how Jesus is always there to comfort and to guide in the midst of the storm!  A nurse just-so-happened to call right when my airways were closing before going to the E.R. and urged me to take some Benedril that the doctors say may have saved my life!  Having Calvin home and ready to take me to the E.R. when the ordeal happened was also God-planned.  I am so thankful for my life and since God saw fit to leave me here for a little while longer, I plan to make the most of it and share His love with as many people as possible!  Because it is only because of HIM that I live. 

"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." Philippians 1:21


All that to say, this is my long and drawn-out excuse for not keeping up on this blog.  :)  Thank you for hanging in there anyway and keeping us in your prayers.  We have felt them!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prayer for Ella Belle

Please keep our Ella Belle in your prayers. She's been taking short, quick breaths for two days now and coughing so frequently and violently. Yesterday, her coughs were so intense that she threw up. We took her to Quick Care yesterday and the Physician's assistant urged us to go straight to the E.R. because of Ella's breathing, cough, slight fever (but she was on preventative antibiotics for her incision, so it was odd for her to be running a fever), and aches and pains in her tummy. She wanted blood tests and x-rays done to rule out infections and/or pneumonia, RSV, collapsed lung, etc... Feeling frustrated that we had just gone and spent $ at Quick Care and received no answers, we went home and called Ella's pediatrician's after-hours number and talked to the on-call nurse. She also urged us to go straight to the E.R., so we went. When we arrived and after we saw the doctor, he was so busy with a patient that was having heart troubles, that i

Trip To the Doc's

Ella's trip to the doctor today was successful.  Some of you who follow us on facebook may have read that Ella had a case of Hemotoma (a build up of blood or a pocket of fluid/blood) under the incision.  We went into Ella's new pediatrician in Meridian to have it popped and drained.  Ella actually did really well!  She was really calm as the doctor was squeezing the incision, trying to release the fluid.  While she was being poked and prodded, Ella sang and recited Bible verses, until, the doctor had no success in releasing the build-up by just pressing, so she resorted to trying to puncture the "bubble" with her surgical prongs.  At that, Ella's attention was fully on what the doctor was doing and started to wiggle and fuss for the remaining 10 or so minutes that the doctor worked and filled gauze pieces with the blood that oozed out after the pocket was popped. Trying to calm Ella down, the doctor asked Ella what her favorite Bible verse was and through te