Skip to main content

Joy Through the Body of Christ and Sleepless Nights

If there's one thing I want someone to get from this blog, it's not that life is easy, but with God, problems are not only smoothed, they are possible miracles in disguise!

Romans 8:31
"If God is for us, who can be against us?"

Matthew 19:26
"Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

 A cousin of mine reminded me last year of this quote:  "Don't tell God how big your problems are.  Tell your problems how big your God is!!!"

I am reminding myself of these truths tonight as I am recovering from a second night in a row of sleeplessness.  Friday night, Ella awoke with a barking cough and strider breathing, known to many as Croup.  This is no new illness to Ella, but as she has grown, she's been expected to grow out of it, which, so far has not been true.  So, outside we went, wrapped in a huge, fluffy comforter, to allow the cool air to enter and open Ella's airways.  After about ten minutes or so of sitting out on the frigid front patio, my panicked noisy-breather had turned into a calm, quiet girl, so we decided to go inside.  Upon entering the warm house, instantly Ella's struggled breathing returned.  So, we turned back around; this time, entering the car with rolled-down windows (so as to allow the freezing air to enter) as I knew we might be out there for a while and wanted a padded seat.

The cold licked at the bottoms of my feet until I startled awake.  I had fallen asleep in the car with Ella in my arms.  We had slept for 40 minutes.  Calvin was heading out the door at 2 AM for his work-day, so I knew we needed to head inside so that Ari would not be alone.  With Calvin gone, I slid my bedroom window open to bring in the cool, night air and placed Ella in our bed.   Thankfully, the open-window worked, and Ella breathed with ease for the remainder of the night. With most of the night already gone, I slipped into bed with her and snatched a few hours of sleep until Ella woke at 6 AM by her internal alarm clock.

Saturday, we all bummed around and I tried to keep my little Ella, with a 102* fever, medicated so that the fever could not creep any higher.  We did catch the Boise State game at my parent's house and mooch some delicious food off of them before heading home for another rough night.

Last night, Ella went to bed OK, but awoke randomly at around 12:30 just wide awake.  She just wanted to play.  Her body was antsy.  All night, I stumbled half-asleep into her room in increments of every 10 - 20 minutes to answer her requests and questions.  She asked for everything from toys to drinks and made excuses such as "I'm not sleepy anymore".  For the first hour or so, I told her to go back to sleep and re-tucked her in each time.  But as the night progressed, I realized she wasn't anywhere near sleep.  I felt like just closing our door and shutting out the noise of our louder-than-normal four-year-old, but because she was sick, I continued my random trips to her room to make sure she was breathing OK.  I knew she probably needed some therapy movement and deep pressure because of her Sensory Processing Disorder, but by 2 AM, I was exhausted and not thinking clearly.  I went and laid with her for quite a while and even massaged her because I knew that it could have a calming effect on sensory kids, but she was just not tired.  Finally, I went back to bed.  Calvin even went and laid with her for a while after that, but soon after his return to bed, her loud yells down the hall echoed into our room, "Mooooommy!.....Mooooommy!  I'm not sleepy!"  We thought that if we just left her, she'd get tired and go to sleep!  Not so!  By 4 AM, she was still awake and singing and playing in her bed and Calvin and I were getting more and more groggy!  It was at this point that I just turned to tears!  I was beyond exhausted and so frustrated.  I could either shake her or cry.  So, I opted to cry and pray.  Finally, we decided to let her go upstairs and watch some t.v. so that hopefully, she'd fall asleep and we could get some shut-eye because I had to teach Sunday School the next morning!

By 5 AM, Ella was still awake!  I got up to give her some more Tylenol, and then headed back down to bed.  At 7 AM when I woke up, it was quiet.  I curiously made my way upstairs to see if Ella had finally fallen asleep!  To my surprise, I found Ella standing right next to the t.v. screen, PlayStation remote in her hands, as she attentively searched for her next show!  She was wide-awake!

All day, Ella stayed up with no seeming evidence of being tired.  By 2:30 in the afternoon, I made her lay down while I massaged her.  Finally at 2:40, after being up since 12:30 AM, Ella fell asleep!  We allowed her to sleep for two hours and then put her to bed at 7:45 this evening and she's been sleeping since.

I know from reading several articles, visiting with Occupational Therapists, a book I'm reading about SPD and a close friend who has a "sensory kid" that these kiddos usually struggle with sleeping through the night.  We've experienced plenty of restless nights with Ella, most of which have been made better with the use of Ella's weighted blanket, which calms her body and allows her to rest peacefully, but these last few nights have been off-the-charts horrible.

But even with these last few nights being incredibly knock-me-over-the-head rough, God has found ways to encourage and energize me.  Just in the past few days, people have either called, messaged or emailed me to let me know what an inspiration our story has been to them and their families.  God knew what I'd be facing and sent encouragement at just the right time!  He knows how to get us through and how to get others through!  In the family of Christ, we are not lone-rangers.  We don't have to fend for ourselves.  He uses the "hand" to feed the "mouth" and the mouth to speak for what the body needs.  One part of the body feeds another part and visa versa!  It's a beautiful thing!  (Biblical passage about the body of Christ will be found at the end of this post)  In the messages I have received, some have said that our story has helped their marriages!!  Others have told me that they've been able to recognize God in their own trials because of what we went and are going through, and still others have said that the details have matched their situations in such an eery way that it has convicted their hearts of how they need to release control and lay everything in the hands of the One who cares and wipes away every tear!


"And God will wipe the tears from every face.
    He’ll remove every sign of disgrace
From his people, wherever they are.
    Yes! God says so!
 Also at that time, people will say,
    “Look at what’s happened! This is our God!
We waited for him and he showed up and saved us!
    This God, the one we waited for!
Let’s celebrate, sing the joys of his salvation.
    God’s hand rests on this mountain!”
 Isaiah 25:8-10 (The Message)

These trials we face aren't meaningless.  Even as we lay in bed and wonder how in the world God could possibly use a sleepless night, He does!  His glory radiates through the righteous and their trials, and I am honored to be a torch-bearer for Jesus!  Let the name of Jesus be glorified, honored and lifted high!

 "Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms.  If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God. If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen. Dear friends, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that has come on you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you.  But rejoice inasmuch as you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed.  If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you." ~ 1 Peter 4:10-14

To me, the significance of our past couple sleepless nights have not been how tired we are, but rather the ability of God to turn something seemingly really tough, into a pathway to joy because of the encouragement that only He can provide through His amazing body of believers!


The Body of Christ
(1 Corinthians 12:12-27) 
"12 Just as a body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body,(U) so it is with Christ.(V) 13 For we were all baptized(W) by[c] one Spirit(X) so as to form one body—whether Jews or Gentiles, slave or free(Y)—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink.(Z) 14 Even so the body is not made up of one part but of many.(AA)
15 Now if the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason stop being part of the body. 16 And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason stop being part of the body. 17 If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be? 18 But in fact God has placed(AB) the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be.(AC) 19 If they were all one part, where would the body be? 20 As it is, there are many parts, but one body.(AD)
21 The eye cannot say to the hand, “I don’t need you!” And the head cannot say to the feet, “I don’t need you!” 22 On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, 23 and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor. And the parts that are unpresentable are treated with special modesty, 24 while our presentable parts need no special treatment. But God has put the body together, giving greater honor to the parts that lacked it, 25 so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. 26 If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.
27 Now you are the body of Christ,(AE) and each one of you is a part of it."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prayer for Ella Belle

Please keep our Ella Belle in your prayers. She's been taking short, quick breaths for two days now and coughing so frequently and violently. Yesterday, her coughs were so intense that she threw up. We took her to Quick Care yesterday and the Physician's assistant urged us to go straight to the E.R. because of Ella's breathing, cough, slight fever (but she was on preventative antibiotics for her incision, so it was odd for her to be running a fever), and aches and pains in her tummy. She wanted blood tests and x-rays done to rule out infections and/or pneumonia, RSV, collapsed lung, etc... Feeling frustrated that we had just gone and spent $ at Quick Care and received no answers, we went home and called Ella's pediatrician's after-hours number and talked to the on-call nurse. She also urged us to go straight to the E.R., so we went. When we arrived and after we saw the doctor, he was so busy with a patient that was having heart troubles, that i

Trip To the Doc's

Ella's trip to the doctor today was successful.  Some of you who follow us on facebook may have read that Ella had a case of Hemotoma (a build up of blood or a pocket of fluid/blood) under the incision.  We went into Ella's new pediatrician in Meridian to have it popped and drained.  Ella actually did really well!  She was really calm as the doctor was squeezing the incision, trying to release the fluid.  While she was being poked and prodded, Ella sang and recited Bible verses, until, the doctor had no success in releasing the build-up by just pressing, so she resorted to trying to puncture the "bubble" with her surgical prongs.  At that, Ella's attention was fully on what the doctor was doing and started to wiggle and fuss for the remaining 10 or so minutes that the doctor worked and filled gauze pieces with the blood that oozed out after the pocket was popped. Trying to calm Ella down, the doctor asked Ella what her favorite Bible verse was and through te